Tuesday, November 17, 2009

That's Just The Way It Is......

So, a couple of posts ago I stated that I was ready to lose some serious pounds in November - and as of today I have seriously lost 2.3 pounds - seriously! But it's okay, because I know something you might not know about me - sometimes my body just does this.... it holds onto the fat that is has become accustomed to having around, it retains water, heck, sometimes it even builds muscle - all of these things result in a fabulous month of pretty much nothing......but thankfully, I'm not just relying on my handy little scale to tell me if I'm still changing. For instance, today I just completed spinning class #7 - and do you know that I was able to use more resistance and push myself harder than I ever thought I would, even though I haven't lost ANY weight in the last 1 1/2 weeks? I also lost an inch off my hips and 3/4 inch off my lovely thighs in the past 2 weeks without losing ANY weight. Incredible. I have also become addicted to my spinach/turkey/egg salad for lunch.....even though I haven't lost any weight it did not send me right to the Wendy' drive thru - and I so would have done that 5 1/2 months ago because I would have felt so discouraged for not losing any weight. We took the kids on a hike two weekends ago - it was around a lake and beautiful and I really enjoyed it, and about half way through the 2.3 mile hike I realized I could have run around the WHOLE lake - even without losing anymore weight this month......Amazing! Obviously I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I truly feel like a different person - sure I'm excited to reach my goal weight, but I'm also excited when I reach other goals that I've set for myself, because it isn't all about the number on the scale anymore - it can't be for me, because I let that number define me as a failure for too long and that simply isn't true anymore.

this is me now.

5 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous Em. I'm so glad you are celebrating ALL of your victories!!! To only look at the scale would be an insult to your body and the huge changes it is making! That salad looks really good btw. What kind of turkey are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!!!I think I've seen you somewhere before, but the way I got to know your blog was thru your sister Melissa. She served a mission in Portugal when my parents were mission presidents. Since somewhere in your post you mentioned Idaho, I have no idea if I have seen you from here (where did u live?) or from Melissa or if you just look familiar.
    I have been inspired by your posts. I have the same battle, but for now let; just say I'm not the one winning like you. I want to take charge just like you though. Where did you find the inspiration?What was the turning point for you? I totally relate to everything you are saying and I am just to the point where I need a change. BUt I also need a support system and I think I might have found a buddy for that ;). Let's keep in touch. My blog is: www.familiapretel.blogspot.com
    Btw my name is Barbara Pretel and I am originally from Brazil (just finished school at BYUI and I have 2 little girls)...ask Melissa about me :)
    Also, good job on working harder than ever and being persistent. I SOOOOO admire you!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb - I know you from Mary Kay (I didn't last very long on that one =)) and I worked at Applebee's in Rexburg when we lived there and I waited on you and your cute family a time or two! Thank you for your support and being so kind. I will post this weekend on the questions you asked me.....

    What a small world - can't wait to call Melissa and tell her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHHH- I came back today to tell you that I remembered last night where I had met you too. I remembered it was Tammy's party and then also remembered Applebee's. What a small small world. I should have noticed the resemblance between you and "Sister Van Dike" (I still feel weird calling her Melissa). I also remember seeing you at Walmart and talking to you when you were pregnant with your little girl (Olivia?). Wow. I am sooo excited to get a blog started like yours...I bet it will have heavy feelings on it and confessions too (Nobody besides my hubby and doctor know my weight and I have to get guts to publish it on a blog), but I talked to my husband and I think you just might be his newest hero for motivating me to get out of a very crappy place :)
    Can't wait for your post.
    SMALL WORLD and wonderful world!!!!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww....look at you two! Besties already! By the way, Emmers, you are looking HOT, and I am so proud of you! You seem so happy, and I love to see you happy!

    ReplyDelete